Featured Produce News

U.S. Cranberry Industry at a Glance

November 06, 2014

Cranberry Harvest Techniques, Statistics and Reports  

A quick look at cranberry harvesting and packing:

 

 
2013 Crop Year, Cranberry

Value

$ 289.3 million

 

Production

895.7 million lbs

(406,301 MT)

Domestic Consumption/For Processing

1,004.1 million lbs

(455,481 MT)

Exports

22.1 million lbs

(10,022 MT)

Imports

130.5 million lbs

(59,202 MT)

Bearing Acres

42,000

 

Data Source: FAS, USDA; NASS, USDA

 

U.S. Fresh Apple Trade

Click on Cranbery Production Graph to Enlarge.
Prepared by FPP using data from FAS, USDA; NASS, USDA

 

The Cranberry Industry

Cranberries are almost exclusively produced in North and South America, between the United States, Canada, and Chile. The US produces about three-quarters of the world’s cranberries. Wisconsin produces about 60% of the US’s cranberries. In recent years, production of cranberries has been rapidly increasing, in response to increase in juice consumption and a proliferation of demand for cranberries in other settings besides the traditional holiday season setting. In 2013, Canada had a huge cranberry harvest, which flooded the market, pushing down prices.

 

2012/13 Major Players in Apple Market

Click on U.S. Cranberry Production vs. Price Graph to Enlarge.
Prepared by FPP using data from FAS, USDA; NASS, USDA

Planting and Harvesting


Cranberries are a perennial plant with a growing season that starts in March and goes on until October. Harvesting starts in mid-September and goes through October. They are planted in man-made bogs, filled with sand and organic material such as dead leaves. Come harvest time, the bogs are flooded, so that the naturally buoyant cranberries can float up to the surface. A machine with a beater is driven through the bogs, corrals, and collects the cranberries. The flooding is also used to protect the crop from frost and pests during the winter time, when the plant is dormant.

 

2012/13 Major Players in Apple Market

Click on U.S. Cranberry Production by State Graph to Enlarge.
Prepared by FPP using data from FAS, USDA; NASS, USDA

Cranberry Uses


Traditionally, cranberries were consumed seasonally together with holiday turkey; but in recent years, their uses have greatly expanded. Only about 5% of cranberries are sold fresh, mostly because of their naturally tart, bitter taste. The remaining 95% are processed into a variety of forms, commonly as a part of a juice or jam blend. They are also sold dried, sweetened, powdered, or concentrated.

 

2012/13 Major Players in Apple Market

Click on U.S. Cranberry Trade Graph to Enlarge.
Prepared by FPP using data from FAS, USDA; NASS, USDA

 

More Information on Cranberry


For more on cranberries from the Agricultural Marketing Resource Center, see here.

For an article about the recent cranberry surplus, click here.

For an article about Ocean Spray’s acquisition of Cran Chile, click here.

For more information about Cran Chile, click here.

For the story about the origin of Cran Chile, click here.

 

Cranberry Growers Associations


American Cranberry Growers Association
Cape Cod Cranberry Growers Association
Wisconsin Cranberry Growers Association
Ocean Spray  (A cranberry cooperative with over 700 member growers)

 

 

 

The Federal Register

Crop Profiles, Harvesting and Trade

Agency and Congressional Hearings

Congressional Legislation

Copyright FPP © 2015 | Privacy Policy | Terms of Use