The FPP Manual
- APHIS Updates
- Crop Insurance
- Crop Protection
- Farm Bill 2013
- Foreign Agricultural Service
- FSMA Implementation
- Marketing Orders
- Market Research and Promotion
- PACA Licenses
- Specialty Crop Tax
- Daily Produce Prices
- Produce Indices
Featured Produce News
Subscribe to Receive Weekly Updates
From Federal Produce Policy
The House Agriculture Chairman, Rep. Mike Conaway (R-TX), introduced legislation repealing the controversial Country of Origin Labeling requirements after the WTO ruled against the U.S.
The White House Task Force released its National Strategy to Promote Pollinator Health and its Pollinator Research Action Plan.
With mountain snowpack at 16 percent of average totals, Governor Jay Inslee declared a statewide drought emergency for the state of Washington.
A group of Sacramento and San Joaquin river delta farmers offered to relinquish 25 percent of their water rights so long as the state guarantees that it will not restrict the remaining 75 percent in the future, no matter if the drought continues.
The Svalbard seed bank, is located within an Arctic mountainside which contains the world’s most prized crops.
Agriculture Secretary Vilsack outlined a proposal to develop a certification process and label for companies wishing to market their products as GMO-free.
With current government restrictions and regulations on drone technology developing, some farmers can’t wait and are willing to break the law and risk paying tens of thousands of dollars.
Federal Policy Updates
Legislation - Repeal COOL on Beef, Pork, and Chicken
EPA - Stone Fruit, Onions, Cabbage, Squash, and more Pesticide Petitions
EPA - Agricultural Worker Protection Standard Revisions
EPA - Pesticide Tolerance Exemption
NOP - National Organic Standards Board Nominations
AMS - USDA Cites Several Businesses for PACA Violations (1)
AMS - Honey Order Referendum Results
AMS - Proposals on New Organic Promotion Order
AMS - $11.9 Million to Assist with Organic Certification Costs
NIFA - Funding to Agriculture Science at Non-Land-Grant Colleges and Universities
NRCS - Environmental Benefits of Organic Systems
PTO - New Plant Patents (2)
USDA - Expand Investment in Water Conservation, Resilience across Drought-Stricken States
FAS - Global Agricultural Information Network Reports (7)
ERS - Economic Burden of Major Foodborne Illnesses
ERS - U.S. Production of Sweet Potatoes Continues to Grow
ERS - Farm Production Cost Rise to 10.5 cents per U.S. Dollar
NASS - Crop Production
RMA - Federal Crop Insurance Corp Business Report
The federal updates cover proposed legislation, Federal Register notices and agency reports. The goal is to provide the reader with timely updates of regulatory, trade, policy, and legislative issues related to produce.
Recent Produce News
The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) released a report showing a large demand for college graduates with a degree in agricultural programs.
According to the UK Overseas Development Institute, fruit and vegetable prices rose as much as 91 percent from 1990 to 2012 in emerging markets such as China, Brazil, South Korea, and Mexico.